Friday 18 December 2015

Fair Spring’s Look


Our Lady is Fair Spring. Concerning Her look it is written: "You have ravished my heart, my sister, my bride, you have ravished my heart with a glance of your eyes" (Song 4:9). 

'Girl with Rabbits', Frederick Stuart Church, 1886.


My woods were barren
And all was dead and dry
Within,
With not a flower that could bloom,
Nor any green but only grey
And brown,
For all was dead and still,
And Spring she could not come,
And so I said: “My life is done.”

Then heart cold and numb
Began to beat at pace
Most slow,
And eyes that wept for none but me
Did tremble, swell and leak moist pools
Of seas;
For sorrow overwhelmed
My soul that spurned my love
And so I said: “Goodbye my dove.”

Whence cloud high above
Turned from grey to thick black
And rained,
Dousing my flesh and wetting all
Though I had light none to see near
Nor far;
But then it slowly ceased
To rain and cloud gave way
S’that I could see in light of day.

And yea trees did sway
With leaves most lush on arms
Once bear,
And all around me I saw life
And colour and sounds, strange and bright
And new;
And there she was my love:
Fair Spring in grotto’s nook
Who caused my soul to swoon and faint with single look.


30th August, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment